Brigradeiros is a Brazilian confection. Made from sweetened condescended milk, butter, cocoa powder and chocolate sprinkles. In Brazil, without brigradeiros birthday parties, weddings and any special occasion are incomplete. It’s a part of Brazilian culture and food. Also, this dessert is getting quite popular worldwide. And many brigradeiros confectionary houses are popping up in the US and parts of Europe.
Brigradeiros fall into the category of fudge. Since the main ingredients are sugar, milk and cocoa powder. This fudge mixture is rolled into round balls and coated with sprinkles to make this iconic dessert. But there is variation in which mixture is left to soft and served into shot glasses or on a plate. This variation is known as Brigradeiros de Colher (Spoon Brigradeiros).
History of Brigradeiros
Brigradeiros has an interesting story that made this sweet staple in Brazilian culture. This confection was invented in 1945 post-WWII. During the election campaign of Brigadier Eduardo Gomes. Brigadier Gomes was a charming and single man. So he has a good following among the women in brazil. Also, it was the first election where women of all backgrounds got the right to vote.
So women took an active part in election campaigns. So the supporters of Brigadier Gomes organized many meeting. In these meetings, they decided to distribute sweet to fundraise for Brigadier’s Party. But milk and sugar was costly and not available in the required quantity. So the ladies decided to make sweets from sweetened condensed milk, cocoa powder, butter and sprinkles. They started distributing the confection from Rio de Janeiro and soon spread around Brazil. As the dessert was prepared to fundraise Brigadier Gomes, they named it Brigradeiros.
However, Brigadier Gomes lost the election of 1945. But this epic confection itself was a success in winning the hearts, taste buds and minds of every Brazilian. Nowadays, this popular dessert has around 50 different variations available in gourmet confectionery and household of every Brazilian.
Variations of Brigradeiros
With the increasing popularity of this confection. People started making their own variations. There are many variations available throughout Brazil and worldwide. Since it has many variations we will cover only a few. Let’s see some of the popular variation available in this dessert.
1. Beijinho (Coconut Brigradeiros)
In Beijinho, cocoa powder and sprinkles are replaced by coconut powder or desiccated coconut. The remaining ingredients are constant for both classic and coconut brigradeiros. Beijinho is the second most popular brigradeiros just after the classic one.
The Lemon Brigradeiros is normally a summer special. With a refreshing flavour of lemon. It has a sweet and sour flavour that comes from lemon zest and lemon juice. Just replace cocoa powder and add lemon zest and lemon juice. And coat it with lemon flavoured sprinkles. Voila! your lemon brigradeiros is ready.
The Strawberry Brigradeiros is a Valentine special and my personal favourite. To make this variation just replace the cocoa powder with strawberry puree or strawberry crush and coat with pink and red sprinkles.
This is Halloween special recipe. To make pumpkin brigradeiros just put pumpkin puree and apple pie spice instead of cocoa powder. And coat it with confectioner or castor sugar.
5. Vanilla and Cinnamon
This is Christmas special brigradeiros recipe that almost every Brazilian enjoy during the holiday season. In this recipe just replace the cocoa powder with vanilla beans, cinnamon powder and nutmeg powder and coat it with confectioner or castor sugar.
Method of Making Good Brigradeiros
- In a small saucepan, add sweetened condensed milk, cocoa powder, butter and a pinch of salt.
- Now put the pan on the stove and heat it over medium-low flame.
- Stir the mixture continuously to avoid lump formation and sticking to the bottom.
- Cook the mixture while stirring till the mixture thickens up and to check if the mixture is done. Just run the spatula between the mixture if it takes time to move that means the mixture is ready.
- Now remove the mixture onto a plate and let it rest for about 10-15 minutes.
- Once the mixture cools down make roundels out of it.
- Now roll the balls in the sprinkles and coat the sprinkles well on it.
- Place the prepared in muffin liner and it’s ready for serving.
- 400 g Sweet Condensened Milk
- 2 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 cup Chocolate sprinkles or any other sprinkles
- Pinch Salt
- Take a sauce pan, add all the above ingredients into the pan
- Place the pan on the stove and heat it over medium low heat
- Cook the mixture by constantly mixing it, to void the mixture from sticking to the bottom
- Cook the mixture till it gets smooth, silky and thickens up
- Now remove the mixture on a plate and let it cool down for around 10-15 minutes
- Once the mixture cools down start making balls out of it
- Now roll balls into sprinkles and place them into muffin liners
- You can also roll the brigradeiros with any kind of crushed nuts or coconut or any thing which you like.